3 Ways to Cook Zabardast Special Basmati Rice
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Wash basmati rice until the water runs clear. If soaking, soak the rice in excess water for 1 hour. After the soaking time is done, rinse the rice.
- Add the water and rice to the instant pot. If using, add the ghee and salt. Start the instant pot in manual or pressure cook mode for 4 minutes at high pressure with a vent in a sealing position.
- When the instant pot beeps, do 5 minutes of natural pressure release, which means release the pressure manually 5 minutes after the instant pot beeps.
- Fluff the rice with a ladle or fork. Let them stand for 5 more minutes.
- Rice is ready to be served with your favorite curry.
Fast & Easy Pasta Method
Bring water and salt to a boil. Add rice and simmer at a low boil, uncovered over medium heat until rice is tender, 7- 10 minutes. Drain, and let stand over a strainer for 5 minutes.
Optional Addition :
Heat ghee over medium heat. Add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, ½ teaspoon coriander seeds, salt, 4 bay leaves, and saute until seeds begin to crackle (about 30-60 seconds). Turn the heat off.
Place rice in a serving dish and pour the flavored oil over the top and serve.
The Traditional Way Using A Pot
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Place the rice in a medium-sized bowl and add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Gently swish the grains using your hands to release any excess starch. Carefully drain off the water, leaving the rice in the bowl. Repeat four times, or until the water is almost clear. Using a fine-mesh strainer, drain the water out.
In a medium-sized pot, bring the mixture of water, butter, salt, and rice to a boil. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed and the rice is fluffy. If the rice is still too firm, add a few more tablespoons of water and continue cooking for a few more minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to sit covered for 5 minutes. Fluff up the rice with a fork and serve.