Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Home Cooked Basmati Rice
If you are cooking Basmati Rice for the first time, then you might have several questions in your mind on the perfect way to cook it. Cooking Basmati Rice is not a big deal, it is one of the simplest things to make if you know the right tricks beforehand. Once you get things right, you can retain the process easily. Whether you want to use the cooked Basmati Rice to eat along with curries or pulses, or you want to use it to make the perfect Biryani, the steps are more or less the same. Get acquainted with some of the best tips and tricks and enjoy the finest Basmati Rice right from your kitchen. The fragrance itself will build the appetite of your entire family.
Use the Right Process
The use of the ideal process of making the Basmati Rice is the key to get excellent results. Some of the leading steps of making the perfect Basmati Rice are described below:
- Washing the Basmati Rice thoroughly before cooking is advisable. It gets rid of all the preservatives and other dirt.
- Add the Basmati Rice and some water in a bowl. Cover the bowl for 30 minutes before you want to actually cook it.
- The water ratio is one of the leading factors that decides the fate of your rice. If you need to cook one cup of Basmati Rice then the ideal amount of water to be added is one and a half cups of water. You can even double the water quantity to get a softer and lighter touch.
- Drain the water and keep the rice aside. Take a pan that can comfortably accommodate the rice and the water levels. Add the soaked Rice and the requisite amount of water to the pan.
- Once this is done, bring the water in the pan to a boil, simmer the flame and let the rice cook.
- Check the rice intermittently to make sure it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- You know your rice is ready when the water is completely soaked and the rice is not sticking to the bottom.
Cooking the Rice on High Flame
There are two ways to cook Basmati Rice. The first way, you can bring the water to a boil on a high flame before simmering it down and leaving the Rice to cook. The second way, you can cook the Basmati Rice on high flame from the very beginning. Make sure you keep a close eye on the water levels and ensure that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
Although Basmati Rice in itself is an excellent food type, you can add other ingredients to give it an extra edge. Addition of one teaspoon of refined oil or ghee to the water can give you a better taste and softer rice. You can even consider the addition of one teaspoon of salt to the water once it has come to a boil.